While autism isn’t a mental illness, many Autistics – often due to the disabling nature of society – have co-occurring mental health conditions. It can be difficult to obtain long-term, good quality, and consistent support for these co-occurring conditions, so we have set out a number of mental health support services who may be able to assist.
Local NHS urgent mental health helpline (England only)
NHS urgent mental health helplines are for people of all ages.
You can call for:
- 24-hour advice and support – for you, your child, your parent or someone you care for
- help to speak to a mental health professional
- an assessment to help decide on the best course of care
The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM)
One of the UK’s leading movements against suicide, CALM provide free and confidential phone lines and webchats from 5pm until midnight 365 days a year.
Telephone lines offering information and signposting:
Open 9am-6pm Monday to Friday (closed on bank holidays). Providing general information and signposting for mental health conditions.
- Telephone: 0300 123 3393
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text: 86463
- Post: Mind Infoline, PO Box 75225, London, E15 9FS
- Website: mind.org.uk
Providing legal information and general advice on mental health related law including being detained under the Mental Health Act (sectioning), mental capacity, community care, and discrimination and equality.
- Telephone: 0300 466 6463
- Email: email@example.com
- Post: Mind Legal line, PO Box 75225, London, E15 9FS
Helplines for those who experience panic attacks, phobias, obsessive compulsive disorders, and other anxiety related conditions.
Helplines are open 10am-10pm 365 days of the year.
- Telephone: 0300 7729844
- Crisis Message Guided Breathing Exercise: 01952 680835
- Youth Helpline (for 13 to 20 year olds) Monday, Tuesday, Friday 3pm-6pm; Thursday 3pm-8pm; Saturday 6pm-8pm: 0330 606 1174
- Website: https://nopanic.org.uk/
Providing confidential support and advice to young people (under 35) experiencing suicidal thoughts, and those worried about young people.
Lines are open 9am-midnight 365 days a year.
- Telephone: 0800 068 4141
- Text: 07860039967
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.papyrus-uk.org/
Rethink Mental Illness
Supporting young people with mental health conditions and their parent/carers.
Lines are open 24/7
- Text: YM to 85258
Lines are open Monday-Friday 9:30am-4pm
- Telephone: 0808 802 5544
- Webchat: https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/for-parents/parents-helpline/#parents-webchat
- Website: https://youngminds.org.uk/
A grassroots suicide prevention resource app for if you’re having thoughts of suicide or are concerned that somebody else may be considering suicide.
Available from the App Store, Play Store, and as a Desktop Web App.
Head Above The Waves
Meic (Wales Only)
An information, advice and advocacy service for young people (up to the age of 25) across Wales.
Lines are open 8am-midnight 7 days a week.
- Telephone: 080880 23456
- Text: 84001
- Website: https://www.meiccymru.org/